Friday, June 20, 2008

How To Explain Emergencies To Young Kids

I read a story, last week, in the local paper about a 7-year-old who saved his grandpa from death because he knew how to use a defibrillator that his family had at home. His grandfather fainted and was unresponsive, so the kids took the defibrillator, applied it on his grandfather's chest, pushed 1 button and gave grandpa back a heart beat. Then he called 911, and the rest is a true happy ending.

I can't imagine teaching my 3-year-old to use a defibrillator yet, but that doesn't mean that I can't introduce him yet to the issue of emergencies, how to recognize one and what to do in such case. After all, I spend a lot of time alone with my little ones and who knows if some day they may be my only chance to get to a hospital (hopefully not, though).

That's why I liked so much a little book that I found in one of our vendor's catalogue (Penton Overseas): "It's Time To Call 911".






This awesome children's book teach children about emergency situations, how to dial 911 (with its key pad) and what to say to get help in an emergency. By correctly dialing "911", the child hears "911", sirens, and then a rewarding "Good Job!" from a sound chip. My son loves this book (possibly more because of the sirens than anything else) and now and then he brings up the issue of an emergency, when to call and why.


This book was featured in ABC News, Good Morning America and The Ellen DeGeneres Show. It was also chosen as a preferred title by the State Library of Kansas for the Kansas Reads to Preschoolers Program. And, of course, is one of our store's favorites.

No comments:



Don't forget to visit our sister site:
Posh Mama, The Hip Hangout for Haute Mamas!