Friday, November 2, 2007

Meet the Posh Dada behind Sandbox Threads

Today we are sitting down with Andy Swaggerty "The Dad" of Sandbox Threads. Andy, we really appreciate you taking the time to sit down with Posh Mama Online Magazine. I know the PM's want to know more about the stay at home dad behind these "Funky Styles for Little Hipsters" with onesies sized 3-6 months and tee shirts up to 6T.


Posh Mama
: Please tell us a bit about your family and what you like to do for fun together?

Sandbox Threads: At the moment, we're a family of three with hopes of expanding. My wife Elizabeth works full-time as a College Professor and I stay at home with our 14 month old son Ben. During naps and in the evenings I also run Sandbox Threads. As a family we spend weekends exploring the coast and towns along eastern North Carolina.


PM: What is the best thing about being a father?

ST: I am not a morning person. I have never liked to get out of bed. However, that all changed once Ben arrived and I couldn't be happier. I don't want to sound too sappy here, but the kid does something new, funny, exciting and amazing each day. I (usually) cannot wait to get up to see what new thing he'll do next! :)


PM: There is so much buzz about Sandbox Threads, how did you decide to get into this line of business?

ST: Since I stayed at home with Ben, I dress him each morning. However, all the clothes we had for him had a doggie, duckie or some other sort of "cute" something on it. Elizabeth's sister bought Ben a shirt that was more along the type that I like and more in line with the shirts we offer at Sandbox Threads. She had mentioned what a difficult time she had finding the item and was surprised she had to pay over $30. Come on, $30 for a t-shirt? For a Baby? At this point the wheels started turning and a few months later, Sandbox Threads was launched offering designs more in line with the style (and price) that I can live with and feel other parents would appreciate as well.


PM: You have a great selection of unique and fun designs, who is the brain behind these designs?

ST: This may be the one situation where I could claim to be "the brains"! Remember my wife holds a PhD and is a College Professor :) However, I must admist that the designs for Sandbox Threads are a collaborative effort. Most of our designs have been suggestions by family, friends and customers. For example, our first Toddler Truism (It's Hard to Stay Clean in a World Full of Dirt) was uttered by a friend of mine when we were both teenagers (we are both in our thirties now).

PM: What has been the most challenging thing you have dealt with being a small business owner?

ST: You know the saying "A watched pot never boils"? Well, I have a modern version; "A checked Inbox never receives new mail" :) Running an Internet business is at best unpredictabale. There is no rhyme or reason to when someone places orders or visits your site. Some days we'll receive more orders than we can handle. While other days, regardless of how often I hit refresh, no new orders arrive. You just never know when the rush or dead time will occur.

PM: What bit of advise would you share with the PM's who are small business owners?

ST: It's easy to get consumed by your business. Remember to keep regular business hours if you can and take time off for yourself and your family. I'm still working on this one myself. :)


PM: Tell me what is your favorite design that you are currently carrying and why?

ST: You must remember that I'm "The Dad" of Sandbox Threads and choosing my favorite design would be like picking a favorite child. I like them all equally and in no way whatsoever do I show favoritism to "Famous Faces" or "Little Activists" :)


Andy we are all huge fans of Sandbox Threads and love all of your onesies and tee-shirts too! Thank you for taking time out of your very busy day Dada and sitting down with Posh Mama Online Magazine. We enjoyed getting to know "The Dad" behind the designs.

PM's, please head over to Sandbox Threads Contest and enter now. The Contest Winner will be announced on Saturday and you really don't want to miss out do you? Please remember the more times you enter the better chance you have to win. :)

Also, please say hello in the comment section now to Andy "The Dad" behind the designs at Sandbox Threads.

Much love, xoxo-pm


Posh Mama, The Hip Hangout for Haute Mamas!

www.poshmama.com

No comments:



Don't forget to visit our sister site:
Posh Mama, The Hip Hangout for Haute Mamas!